Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Week 4

Excel is a learning tool that I think is under taught in schools. Everyone is required to take a computer class where they learn the basics, but this program is very helpful and I think deserves more than just a quick glance. I am not sure that I would use it in the classroom being that I am an English major, but the program is useful to know in the world. To be able to utilize the Microsoft Suites programs opens up more job opportunities.
As teachers we use spread sheet to show models, graphs, and spreadsheets. Spreadsheet is more useful than a calculator because you can see mulitple calculations at once, changing one part of an equation is more simple, just astetically speaking the calculations are color coded, and the math is done for you so as long as your equation is correct you don't worry about miss typing a number.

Sorting, Calculating, and presenting information are the three primary functions mentioned in the book. I think it is very correct. Excel doesn't have many uses, off hand I can think of the three, but the way you choose to use the three are limitless. Sorting- alphabetically, alphanumerically, and others I don't use as often. Calculating- the number of functions are endless. Presenting- this is a newer one to me, I never thought about making a spreadsheet presentation until class today. the matching, webs, and timelines give spreadsheet a new use entirely for me!
According to the textbook, it mentions the three primary functions of Spreadsheets.

I can't really think of another use for spread sheet because Like I said, up until class today I had never given thought to using it for a presentation. Overall spread sheet is useful, but I feel more as something to learn for life skills rather than to use in the classroom

Jonassen, D., Howland, J., Marra, R. M., & Crismond, D. (2008). Meaningful Learning With Technology. Upper Saddle River, New Jersey: Pearson Prentice Hall.

2 comments:

  1. I agree with you that excel is a learning tool that is under taught. I didn't learn much about that when I was in high school. In fact, I didn't learn about spreadsheets until I was in college. It is definately easier to use spreadsheets than it is to use a calculator. I like how it figures out the calculations for you. I know as a P.E. teacher I won't be using spreadsheets very much. However it is a good source to use when calculating student's grades and taking attendance.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Alyssa I agree with you, if your not constantly practicing or using the Microsoft programs the students and teacher will have a difficult time using it. Especially if they keep coming out with upgraded programs all the time. These programs are used in all areas in business and schools and they should have experience in all of Microsoft programs.

    ReplyDelete