Monday, September 13, 2010

Week 3

The video shows you the uses for Inspiration, and it has several features that I like. This seems like an intresting classroom tool, espically for an English teacher like I hope to be. This seems like a very simple way to view student work and help them rearrange, collect, and review their thoughts.

I think that creative writing or Journalism would make the best use of technology like the Inspiration program. I am not really a fan of peer review, because some students are stronger writes than others, and though it is a good way for other students to see what a good writer looks like, it also shows them what they are not. If i were to use peer review in my class room it would be anyonomous, and online. Students would be required to make one online peer review per night during the course of the writing assignment starting with student diagrams through their final paper.

The first time I taught a new topic I was teaching someone to PowerPoint I think. I was pared with a student who had never used a computer before. It was very strange because I had never known a time without one. In the beginning it seemed easier to just do it myself, but in the end I realized it was better to teach him even though it took longer to do. At the end I didn't really have a better understanding because I wasn't teaching him anything at the cusp of my knowledge of the program just the basics.

3 comments:

  1. This is definately a great tool for English Teachers. I wish that I used this in my English classes. I do disagree with you about peer reviewing. I think that it is important for student's to get multiple opinions from their peers. I also think that student's listen to their peers more than they listen to the teacher.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think that the Inspiration software would be a great tool in an English class. I can see how this would help students to organize their thoughts in preparing a writing assignment. I enjoyed reading your perspective on peer review. I had never thought about the possibility of students being intimidated by better writers. Your idea of doing the review anyonomously might be a good idea.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I also agree that the inspiration technology could be useful for an English teacher. I also think that peer revising is a good tool, however I see your point in making students feel inadequate in their writing abilities when reading a better paper, so I think the anonymous idea is smart.

    ReplyDelete